How do I correctly punctuate this sentence?
How to punctuate
- Separate danglers with a comma.
- If you can, use a period instead of a comma.
- In a list, use a comma before the final “and”
- Use a comma before introducing a question.
- Don’t use a comma to represent vocal pauses.
- Don’t use ellipses.
- Avoid semicolons.
- Only use colons for standalone sentences.
Which punctuation marks do you think are most difficult to use correctly?
The hardest punctuation mark to use correctly is the comma, an infographic from TheVisualCommunicationGuy.com claims. That’s because it has more rules and applications than any other punctuation mark.
Where should the comma be in this sentence?
Use commas after introductory a) clauses, b) phrases, or c) words that come before the main clause. a. Common starter words for introductory clauses that should be followed by a comma include after, although, as, because, if, since, when, while.
What is punctuation with example?
Punctuation is a set of marks that regulates and clarifies the meanings of different texts. The purpose of punctuation is to clarify the meanings of texts by linking or separating words, phrases, or clauses. For example, in the sentence “Yesterday, rain-fog; today, frost-mist.
Does my sentence need a comma?
Commas don’t just signify pauses in a sentence — precise rules govern when to use this punctuation mark. Commas are needed before coordinating conjunctions, after dependent clauses (when they precede independent clauses), and to set off appositives. The Oxford comma reduces ambiguity in lists.
Do complex sentences need commas?
Unnecessary Commas in Complex Sentences Generally, if the dependent clause comes second in a complex sentence, a comma is not used. In the last example, the dependent clause was used before the independent clause, so a comma was placed in this complex sentence.
What are the 8 rules for commas?
Commas (Eight Basic Uses)
- Use a comma to separate independent clauses.
- Use a comma after an introductory clause or phrase.
- Use a comma between all items in a series.
- Use commas to set off nonrestrictive clauses.
- Use a comma to set off appositives.
- Use a comma to indicate direct address.
- Use commas to set off direct quotations.
How do you fix a complex sentence?
Correcting Run-On Sentences
- Use a period. The easiest way to fix a run-on is to split the sentence into smaller sentences using a period.
- Use a semicolon.
- Use a comma and a coordinating conjunction.
- Use a subordinating conjunction.
What are complex sentences 5 examples?
Common Complex Sentence Examples
- Because my coffee was too cold, I heated it in the microwave.
- Although he was wealthy, he was still unhappy.
- She returned the computer after she noticed it was damaged.
- Whenever prices goes up, customers buy less products.
What are 10 examples of compound sentences?
- I like coffee. Mary likes tea. → I like coffee, and Mary likes tea.
- Mary went to work. John went to the party. I went home. → Mary went to work, but John went to the party, and I went home.
- Our car broke down. We came last. → Our car broke down; we came last.
What are 5 examples of subordinating conjunctions?
Some examples of such subordinating conjunctions are once, while, when, whenever, where, wherever, before, and after. Once Batman learned that Robin had not been wearing his seatbelt, he took away his keys to the Batmobile.
What are 10 examples of complex sentence?
10 Complex Sentences in English
- Although my friends begged me, I chose not to go to the reunion.
- Many people enjoyed the movie; however, Alex did not.
- Although the farmer is ready, the ground is still too wet to plow.
- If the ozone layer collapses, the global community will suffer.
- Although I’m not very good, I really enjoy playing football.
What is complex sentences and examples?
A complex sentence has one independent clause and at least one dependent clause. This means that the clauses are not equal, they use a co-ordinating conjunction that changes the rank of one or more of the clauses to make it less equal. For example; My Dad laughed when I told a joke.
What makes a complex sentence?
A complex sentence is formed by adding one or more subordinate (dependent) clauses to the main (independent) clause using conjunctions and/or relative pronouns. A clause is a simple sentence. Simple sentences contain only one clause (verb group). Complex sentences contain more than one clause (verb group).
How do you make a simple sentence into a complex sentence?
A simple sentence can be converted into a complex sentence by expanding a word or phrase into a subordinate clause – which can be a noun clause, an adjective clause or an adverb clause. Note that it is usually a noun or a noun equivalent that can be changed into a noun clause.
How do you know if a sentence is simple compound or complex?
A simple sentence consists of only one clause. A compound sentence consists of two or more independent clauses. A complex sentence has at least one independent clause plus at least one dependent clause. Example 5 is a sentence fragment.
What is a simple sentence and give examples?
A simple sentence has the most basic elements that make it a sentence: a subject, a verb, and a completed thought. Examples of simple sentences include the following: Joe waited for the train. “Joe” = subject, “waited” = verb. The train was late.
What is simple and compound sentences and examples?
Sometimes, we want to join simple sentences together to form one sentence. When we join two or more independent clauses into one sentence, we have a compound sentence. Compound sentences are sentences that contain two or more independent clauses and no dependent clauses. I kicked the ball, and it hit Tom.
What are the three types of compound sentences?
Three methods of forming compound sentences
- with a coordinating conjunction (one of the fanboys);
- with a semicolon; or.
- with a semicolon and a transitional expression.
What is a complete sentence example?
A complete sentence must have, at minimum, three things: a subject, verb, and an object. The subject is typically a noun or a pronoun. So, you might say, “Claire walks her dog.” In this complete sentence, “Claire” is the subject, “walks” is the verb, and “dog” is the object. …
Are sentence examples?
Are sentence example. Why are you disappointed in me? Where are you going? The kids are in the next room.
What are the five sentences?
Study the following sentences.
- They have received the parcel.
- She has returned. (
- You have done a good job. (
- They have accepted the offer. (
- She has declined the offer. (
- The offer has been declined by her. (
- She has been reprimanded. (
How do you use ate in a sentence?
Ate sentence example
- I ate a while ago on my break.
- He ate another cookie in troubled silence.
- She ate the meat and drank some of the cool water.
- She ate her dinner, beat.
- They ate in silence until he finally turned a concerned gaze on her.
- They ate breakfast and arrived at church promptly.
Where do we use ate?
‘Ate’ is Simple Past tense. eg I ate dinner yesterday. ‘Eaten’ is the past participle. eg I’m not hungry.
What is the difference between eaten and ate?
“I just ate them” and “I’ve just eaten them” are not examples of different spellings in British and American English. “I ate them” is past tense; “I have eaten them” is present perfect tense; “eaten” is a past participle–not a verb.
Is it I have ate or I have eaten?
In standard English, the past participle form of eat is always eaten. Ate is the simple past form.
What did you eat or ate?
Correct is what did you eat. Two past tense can not be present in the same sentence. Did and ate are past tense, hence if you use did, which is a past tense, then ate will become eat.
When to use have or has?
While the verb to have has many different meanings, its primary meaning is “to possess, own, hold for use, or contain.” Have and has indicate possession in the present tense (describing events that are currently happening). Have is used with the pronouns I, you, we, and they, while has is used with he, she, and it.
What does eaten mean?
eaten(Adjective) That has been consumed by eating.