How do you have an academic conversation?
Academic Conversations use Core conversations skills.
- Elaborate and Clarify. In a normal conversation your students might simply state their opinion and then move on.
- Support Ideas with Examples.
- Building on or Challenging Partner’s Ideas.
- Synthesizing Conversation Points.
What are the two main types of sources available to the historian?
There are two main types of historical sources: primary sources and secondary sources. A primary source is something that originates from the past.
What are three things you can learn by studying history?
Why It’s Important That We Study History
- History helps us develop a better understanding of the world.
- History helps us understand ourselves.
- History helps us learn to understand other people.
- History teaches a working understanding of change.
- History gives us the tools we need to be decent citizens.
- History makes us better decision makers.
What lessons can we learn from studying the past?
Studying history enables us to develop better understanding of the world in which we live. Building knowledge and understanding of historical events and trends, especially over the past century, enables us to develop a much greater appreciation for current events today.
Why the human past is significant?
Our past is our cultural heritage, and how we choose to use this information for future generations is an important role for archaeologists. Understanding patterns and changes in human behavior enhances our knowledge of the past. It aids us in planning, not only our future, but for generations to come.
What is the connection of our history in dealing with our present status?
History matters because it helps us as individuals and as societies to understand why our societies are the way they are and what they value.